Boat Yard CXXVII


          Here is a picture of the port engine exhaust hose installation completed. You can see all the hanger brackets I used to hold the hose in the proper position. To the right is a little different view of the port exhaust hose. You can see a few different hanger brackets in this view.





     To the left is a view of the starboard exhaust hose. This side didnít have so many bends in it, and went pretty much straight back to the aft bulkhead. To the right is a view of my fire suppression cylinder. I had to hang it on the aft bulkhead because the forward bulkhead is already full of things hanging on it.

          Below is a picture of my engine starting battery bank. I finally got the second battery installed so now all I have left to do is install the battery box cover and hook up the vent hose.



          Iíve spent the past few days working on the engine shutdown system for my fire suppression system. To the left is a picture of the control circuit board with a few of the wires connected. I still have a few more wires to hook up and it will be done. This is the control center for the shutdown system. There is a pressure switch on the cylinder down in the engine room, and that is wired into the circuit board so when the cylinder discharges, it will send a signal to the circuit board and activate all the solenoids that shut down the engines, generator, and the engine room blowers. This system is required in a boat that has diesel engines because the agent in the cylinder will not necessarily shut down a diesel engine like it would a gas engine. If the diesel keeps running, it will suck the agent out of the engine room and prevent it from extinguishing the fire. As a result, both ABYC and the Coast Guard require this system be installed in a diesel powered vessel with a fire suppression system installed. The system also has a manual discharge system that allows you to discharge the cylinder manually, picture to the right. This is a picture of the manual discharge T handle which I have installed on the bridge. I have the cable run all the way back to the cylinder but I still need to get it hooked up. In the meantime I've been working hard trying to finish connecting all the wires to the control board. There is also an override switch on the system monitoring display that allows you to override the shutdown system and restart the engines if you are in a dangerous situation. It is quite a complicated system when itís all put together, and itís not exactly easy to set up if you arenít a marine electrician but it is doable if you understand the wiring of your vessel. The system comes with a pretty comprehensive schematic so itís pretty easy to figure it out.


     I've run into a problem with the wiring of my fire suppression system so I decided to work on my radar mount for awhile. I purchased a Scanstrut radar mast mount and it turns out that it is designed to be mounted to a round mast. So, I had to design some mount feet to make the thing fit my square wooden mast. Here are a couple pictures of the new feet I designed. To the left is a picture of one of the feed after it was cut out of a 2 x 2 x 1/4 inch piece of aluminum angle. To the right is a picture of the foot after it was cleaned up and the spacers made for it.



      Here are a couple pictures of the feet attached to the radar mount and positioned on the mast. You can see the gap between the feet and the side of the mast, hence the spacer requirement. The reason for the gap is that the radar mount is just a little too narrow for my mast and in order to provide enough room for the bolt to attach the feet to the mount, I had to move the feet out from the side of the mast just a bit.