Boat Yard XXXII
Well, the rafters are up and the vinyl is secured. I'd much rather be working on the boat, but these things have to be done from time to time. I think I got it done just in time as the rains are just getting started. To the left is a view from inside, and to the right from the outside. The neighbors tell me it looks like a big caboose. Anyway, it will give me the headroom I need to finish the raised pilot house. The twelve foot sidewalls are high enough to clear the boat, but I guess I forgot about having to work up on top of it too. Back to the boat building project!
I'm back to work on the boat and have started the framing for the pilot house. The pilot house is extended over the trunk cabin about two feet at the bottom and angles 10 degrees aft up to the bottom of the windshield which will be angled about 10 degrees forward. It is also swept aft about 17 degrees on each side to give the windshield a wrap around effect. Here are a couple of pictures of the front studs below the windshield.
I'm making some pretty good progress on the pilot house framing. To the left is a view looking aft which shows the two roof beams I have installed and the front of the pilot house. To the right is a picture of the door frame on the starboard side. Everything is temporarily put together to fit everything. I will have to disassemble everything and glue and screw it all together once I get it all cut and fit. I'm going to have to remove the top of the pilot house to move the boat so I'm making it removable. The boat can't be more than 13' 10" high overall when I load it on the truck for transport. Once I get it to where I'm going with it I will have to reassemble the roof and glue and screw it all together again.
To the left is a picture of one of the windshield posts which shows how it is spliced together at the point where I will remove the roof. I've doweled the two pieces together and put a gusset on each side of the post. It should be as strong as a single piece once put back together and glued and screwed. Each one of the studs will be spliced like this for removal of the roof. It's a lot of extra work but it has to be done to be able to truck the boat to the water. That's what I get for building a boat as far from water as you can get in the state of Florida.
All the roof beams are up except for one, and the front windshield posts are installed. To the left is a picture of how it looks right now. I got all the studs spliced and gusseted although you can't tell from this picture. That was a job that took one whole day to complete. To the right is a view of the front of the pilot house showing the windshield framing. As you can see in this photo, the windshield is angled forward about 10 degrees. I like the looks of the windshield angled forward, and I also think it helps with the glare and reflections from interior objects on the glass. The only draw back is the extra work with all the different angles.