Boat Yard XXXV



    My Pilothouse cabinets are coming along pretty well. As you can see in these two pictures I have completed the frame for the computer monitor in the center of the helm station and I've gotten the two instrument panels pretty well cut and fit. The instrument panel to the right of the computer monitor will be all the engine instruments and the one to the left is going to be a fuel management panel. I will have fuel level gauges and switches for transferring and polishing fuel in this panel. I'm thinking about putting a couple of vacuum gauges here as well for monitoring fuel filters and air cleaners. It's just a big job to run copper tubing all the way up to this panel from the engines to the gauges. I think it would be worth the effort to be able to monitor these areas from the bridge.



    I've switched gears again and decided to work on my engine stringers for awhile. I've got so many things that need doing I can jump around from one to the other just to keep things interesting. To the left is a picture of one of the engine stringers on the hoist ready to be lifted into the boat. These are 13 foot 4 x 12's of solid vertical grain Douglas Fir and they are really heavy (around 150 lbs each) so I had to use the chain hoist and gin pole to get them up into the boat. To the right is a picture of both timbers in the boat. One is laying flat and the other is setting up in position for marking and notching. They will be notched over and into each frame and secured with bolts and stainless blocking. I've got a lot of cutting and fitting to do with these so this operation will take some time. These are the two inboard stringers and there will be two more 4 x 6 inch stringers outboard of these.




    It's been a long week but I finally got one of the inboard engine stringers all cut and fit. Here are a couple of pictures of the starboard inboard stringer all notched into the frames and ready for gluing and mount angles. I got the outboard stringers put together today also so I should be able to start on them next. I laminated two full dimension 2 x 6's together to make the outboard stringers. I want to get the starboard outboard stringer cut and fit before I put the other inboard stringer in so I can start working on the fuel tank design. I need the exact placement of the stringers before I can calculate the clearances and capacities for the fuel tanks. Preliminary measurements indicate I should be able to put two 274 gallon tanks in which will give me around a 1,096 nautical mile range using 4 gph fuel consumption at 8 knots. Fuel consumption can be tweaked down to between 3 and 3.5 gph using the right props and rpm's which will increase the range accordingly. I've heard you can over prop these small engines and gain efficiency with reduced rpm's without drastically affecting the speed. These little Perkins engines are pretty efficient as long as you're not in a hurry. They should push the boat to around 12 knots if you push them hard but that takes a lot of fuel. I can't wait to get to the sea trials to see if all these calculations prove correct, but I'm afraid that's a ways off yet.



    I'm making some pretty good progress with the engine stringers. I've gotten three of the four stringers all cut and fit. Here are a couple of pictures of the three I've gotten done so far. Just one more to go and I can seal them (encapsulate with epoxy) and glue them in place. Below is a drawing I make with my CAD program to determine just where to put the stringers. This drawing is a little cluttered but it has all the necessary dimensions to install the stringers to make sure the engines fit with the proper clearances. I have another drawing showing all the longitudinal dimensions along with the shaft angles and prop and rudder spacing. Together they represent the complete engine installation as well as the fuel tank placement. This is one segment of the construction that the plans just don't cover very well so you have to design the installation yourself according to the type of engine (s) you're using.