Boat Yard XXXVII

10-4-05

   

    It has bee a long hard journey but I am almost done working in the bilges, at least for awhile. I have spent the last few days cutting and fitting the blocking for the engine stringers. I don't really think I need them where the stringers are notched through the floor timbers but I put them in anyway just to add a little extra support for the stringers. As you can see in the photo to the right, I tapered the tops of the blocks to allow for water drainage. I finished gluing them all in today so now I think I will go back up to the pilothouse and work on the side and roof panels again. I got my screws in yesterday so now I can finish gluing them in place.

10-9-05

   

    I'm back working on the pilothouse again. I have the starboard side panels all glued and screwed and am working on the port side panels now. The picture to the left shows the starboard side panels completed. In the picture to the right you can see that I have one of my instrument panel faces cut and fit to the frame I made for them. I'm going to wait until I get the actual instruments to cut the openings for them.

 

10-13-05

   

    I have finished the side panels on the bridge and reinstalled the roof panels. The picture to the left shows the completed bridge. I still need to finish the last roof panel but I am waiting for screws again. In the mean time, I have been working on my instrument panels. To the right is a picture of the two panels completed and trimmed out.

 

 

10-20-05

   

    My cabinets on the bridge are coming along. I have all the tops cut and fit and have finished the storage compartment under the chart table. To the left is a picture of the cabinets as far as I am right now. To the right is a picture of the storage compartment under the chart table. I was just about to begin on the chart drawers and cupboards below the chart table when Hurricane Wilma kicked up in the Caribbean. At first the forecasters said it would make landfall here in south Florida on Saturday, but now they say it looks like Monday sometime.

 

 

    I have been busy the last four days cleaning out the boat and boat building getting ready for the hurricane. I put some tarps over the boat in case we lose the roof as you can see in the picture to the left. I also anchored the boat down with some mobile home anchors and cables. Just in case the building goes again, I don't want the boat tipping over. I don't know how I would get it set back up again without hiring a crane or something. To the right is a view of the starboard side of the boat. You can see all my scrap lumber along the north wall of the building. I have it all tied up in bundles so it won't get blown away. Now all I can do is sit and wait. I will be Sooooooo happy, when I get the Molly B done so I can get out of the country when hurricane season rolls around!!! I am really tired of all the storms here lately, as are a lot of folks on the golf coast this year. I guess it was just a matter of time before one of them decided to hit here in central Florida.

Keep your fingers crossed for the Molly B!

10-25-05

        Believe it or not, Wilma is gone and my boat building is still standing! We got some strong winds and lots of rain but the worst of it went south of us. I guess we got lucky this time. Now I have to haul everything back into the boat building and uncover the boat so I can get back to work.