Boat Yard XXXIX

11-12-05

   

    I have my rudders all laminated and ready for covering. They will be covered with Kevlar material for strength and abrasion resistance. To the left is a picture of one of the rudders ready for assembly. To the right is a close-up of the rudder hinge. After I got the plywood laminated onto the rudder core, I had to remove the epoxy from in between the hinges so the wing would move freely. The epoxy is hard to remove so this little operation took a long time. But I finally got one rudder done and ready for covering. Things are coming together, slow but sure.

 

11-22-05

   

    I've been working on locating the hull penetration for my rudders. I have one of the rudder bearing blocks cut, fit, and positioned in the hull. (Picture to the left) I'm proceeding rather slowly on this operation so I don't put the hole in the wrong place. I've also been working on building the drawers for my chart table cabinet. (Picture to the right) I have the two shallow drawers done and I'm working on the first of the deeper drawers. I got a dovetail fixture and I'm learning how to cut dovetails. Quite a learning experience getting the dovetails to fit together just right. I have finally mastered the operation and my drawers are turning out very well.

 

 

 

     To the left is a picture of one of my shallow drawers on the workbench all done and ready to go into the cabinet. To the right is a close-up of one of my dovetail joints. They sure make for a strong drawer but are really a lot of extra work. I guess I might as well do it right if I'm going to do it at all.

 

 

12-7-05

   

    I got all my drawers finished and installed. They slide in and out pretty well but I think once I get them sealed with epoxy and put a little wax or furniture polish on the drawer slides they will work a little easier. The picture to the left shows all my drawers in the cabinet. The picture to the right shows the starboard cabinet where the computer will be mounted. The keyboard shelf will go into the opening along the upper left portion of the cabinet. I also got some more trim cut and fit along the top edges of the cabinet. This cabinet work sure takes a long time but I'm getting close to  having these cabinets done.