Boat Yard XL

12-29-05

 

     Here are a couple of the latest pictures of my cabinets on the bridge. To the left you can see I have the chart table top and all the trim installed. To the right is my computer keyboard drawer. The false drawer front drops down and there will be a wrist rest glued onto the back side of it.

 

 

1-18-06

 

     It's been quite a while since I've added anything to my on line journal but I'm still working hard and making a little progress on the Molly B. I've started working on the bulwark at the bow. To the left is a picture of the frames all cut and fit along the starboard side. To the right is a picture of the blocking cut and fit between the frames along the deck. This bulwark is really testing my compound angle skills again. I will be using 1/2 inch plywood for the outside planking, and 1/4 inch plywood for the inside planking.  When I cut the curve and the angles on the blocking I ended up with a 1 x 3 for the blocking so I had to cut the frames down to 3 inches to match the blocking.

 

 

 

2-12-06

 

     To the left is a close up of the blocking between the frames. You can see the limber  holes in the frames to allow any moisture to drain out of the bulwark. There will be a scupper at the aft end of the bulwark to drain the deck and also let any moisture out of the bulwark. To the right is a picture of the frames looking aft from the stem.

 

 

 

     To the left is a picture of the chain locker bulkhead and the breast hook at the stem. If you look closely you can see the notches in the tops of the frames for the upper blocking between the frames. I have the top blocking installed already at the bow for the chain locker. The two openings in the bulkhead are for access doors in the chain locker. To the right is a picture of the breast hook looking up from in front of the stem. I ran the breast hook all the way back to the first frames for additional strength.