Boat Yard XLV

4-30-06

        It's been a busy couple of weeks. I finished most of the rub rail along the starboard side. The picture to the left shows three layers of the rub rail completed. There will be one more layer of oak on top of the three layers of fir. To the right you can see how I tapered the rub rail into the stem. I planed each layer back about a foot to blend the rub rail into the stem. I don't have them glued and screwed in these pictures, but I have since finished that as well. I also finished gluing the second layers of 1/4" plywood to the outside of the bulwark at the bow.

   

 

     The last few days I've been working on the paneling on the inside of the bulwark. To the left and right are a couple of pictures of the starboard side with the paneling all cut and fit. This was quite a challenge fitting the curve and twist of the panel as well as the rise of the deck along the bottom edge. I have to seal the inside surfaces of the bulwark with epoxy and then I will be ready to glue and screw the inside panels in place.

 

 

 

5-7-06

          I've looked all over the internet trying to find a shaft log or stern tube that will work on my boat and couldn't find one so I decided to make my own. Here are a couple of pictures of the laid up stern tube on my jig. I used a piece of pipe for a mold and that didn't work because I couldn't get the lay up off even though it was very well waxed. So I switched to a paper core so I can just soak the paper out of the tube when it sets up.

 

 

 

5-13-06

        Here are a couple of pictures of my new stern tubes. I built a mock-up of the bilge planks and cut a slot in them to check to see if I had my angles correct for the installation of the stern tubes. The Shaft angle is 12 degrees and with the bilge planks at 4 degrees, the angle of the stern tube has to be 8 degrees. Everything checked out so I guess I am just about ready to cut the holes in the bottom of the boat.