Boat Yard L

7-21-06

     I'm about as far as I can go with my fuel tank until I get some more material so I decided to drill the holes for the rudder port bearings while I am waiting. To the left is a picture of the hole in the leveling block with the bearing lying on top of the block. To the right is a picture of the bearing inserted into the hole with a 3/4" shim under the flange of the bearing. The barrel of the bearing was about 3/4" too long and stuck out below the bottom of the hull so I had to put a piece of plywood under the flange to raise it up a bit. Before I installed the bearings I decided to check the fit on my rudder shaft. It turned out they wouldn't fit so I had to order a different type of bearing that would fit. These weren't made to spec and couldn't be reworked because of the companies machine shop being remodeled. They said because of the stainless steel sleeve around the barrel of the bearing, when it got warm it would expand and shrink the hole size enough not fit on the shaft. The bearing material expands much faster then the stainless steel sleeve. I have two bearings ordered that don't have the stainless steel sleeve that should be to spec and won't be bothered by the high temperatures here in the afternoon. It's always something!

7-30-06

        I have received my new bearings but now I'm waiting for my stainless steel lag bolts and 3M 101 sealant and I will be ready to install the rudders. In the meantime, I have been working on the shim that goes between the wing actuator pin the the bottom of the hull. I had to taper the block 7 degrees athwart ship and 3 degrees fore and aft. Here are a couple of pictures of the shim. To the right is a view of the actuator pin and plate with the pin in the wing slot. The shim will go on top of the plate and be bolted through the hull.

 

 

 

 

     I've also been working on my bulwark at the bow. Here are a couple of pictures of the Xynole polyester fabric I am using to cover the bulwark with. To the right it is trimmed off with just enough to cover the fillet on the rub rail. I didn't want to cover the rub rail with fabric so in case I need to replace or repair it sometime it will be a little easier to do.

 

 

     Here are a couple of views of the fabric wet out with epoxy. I still need to fill in the raised deck bulwark with a small piece of fabric as you can see in the picture to the right. Then I have to fill the weave and fair the whole thing before painting.