Boat Yard LI

8-2-06

  

     I have finished the rudder leveling pads. I have them all drilled and sealed with epoxy, ready for the rudder port bearings. To the left is a picture of the pads. To the right is a picture of the rudder port bearing installed. The red thing is only temporary and will be removed after the rudders are installed. They keep the seal from being damaged during insertion of the rudder shafts.

 

 

 

     To the left is a view of the bearing from under the hull. As you can see the bearing is about 3/4" above the hull on one side and almost flush with the hull on the other side. This is due to the angle of the hull at this point. To the right is my next challenge. I had to dig two holes under the boat to provide enough clearance to stand the rudders up straight to insert them into the bearings. I just don't know exactly how I'm going to lift those 100+ pound rudders up out of the hole and into the bearings.

 

 

8-8-06

     I had to take the wings off the rudders to lift them up into the bearings, but I got them lifted up there. I have both of them inserted into the bearings. In the picture to the right, you can see I have a 2 x 2 clamped to the rudder so I could take some measurements to make sure the rudder is positioned with the proper toe in relative to the deadwood. Once I bolt the actuator pin assembly to the hull, the angle of the rudder relative to the deadwood will be fixed, and therefore I had to make sure it was right before I bolt it down.

 

 

 

     To the left is a close-up of the actuator assembly. This is where it will be bolted to the bottom of the hull. I also have the last coat of epoxy on the forward bulwark. To the right is a picture of the finished bulwark. I just have to sand it all down one more time and then it will be ready for paint.