Boat Yard LXV

2-20-07

     I've been working hard on the cabinets under the V-berths. To the left is a picture of the cabinet fronts with the openings for the drawers. There is also one that goes on the starboard side that isn't in the picture. To the right is a picture of the drawers I have made. It was a bit confusing because I had to make the drawer fronts about 18 degrees to the sides so I could get them to pull out straight and maximize the amount of storage space I had under the bunks.

  

 

2-23-07

  

     To the left is another picture of my cabinets under the bunks. You can see the little cupboard I built where there isn't enough room for a drawer. To the right is a picture from a little farther back in the engine compartment. You can see the general layout of the bulkhead for the head. You can see the toilet sitting against the forward bulkhead. I had to put a little jog the bulkhead, moving it out about 10 inches around the toilet to get enough room around it. I have the toilet set as far outboard as I can so I had to move the bulkhead just a bit. I think it will work out well though.

 

3-4-07

     I'm still hard at it in the stateroom and the head. To the left is a picture of some of the headliner panels for the stateroom. These will be installed and painted to provide the ceilings for the stateroom. To the right is another picture of some more of the headliners panels, along with the trunk cabin side panels, they are the darker ones on the lumber rack. These are Merantiiplywood panels that have been stained and are waiting for a coat of varnish. I'm going to get these panels all varnished before I install them. I have some African Mahogany that I will make my trim out of and stain it to match theplywood panels that have been stained and are waiting for a coat of varnish. I'm going to get these panels all varnished before I install them. I have some African Mahogany that I will make my trim out of and stain it to match the Merantii. I have everything torn out of the stateroom and head area right now, and I'm gluing and screwing it all back in place. Once I get all the battens installed, I will start to install the headliners and cabinet frames. It's slow going, but it is all starting to come together.

   3-13-07

     To the left is a picture of one of my Mahogany panels with the last coat of varnish on it. Really a nice shine except for the solids in the varnish leave a mess on the surface. I've already taken one gallon back to the store and this one isn't much better. I'll have to sand it down again and try to polish the surface with some 800 grit paper and wax it to get the shine back. To the right is a picture of my port lights I installed in the stateroom and one in the head. I also put two on the starboard side. They really add a touch of class to the look of the boat. They also provide a lot of ventilation for the forward compartments. I'm just about ready to start assembling the framing for the bunks in the stateroom. I have all the headliner panels installed, filled and sanded, next is the bunk framing.