Boat Yard LXXII

7-23-07

     My oldest son Tim came down to see us from Ohio and of course I had to put him to work. To the left he is working on the generator. We got it all installed today and we got the "A" frame removed from the boat. I was really glad to see him and he has been a great help to me especially since I broke a rib the other day, Tim has been doing the heavy lifting for me. To the right Tim is checking out the fuel distribution manifold. I got the fuel hose today, so tomorrow we will start installing the last of the fuel lines. I'm going to hate to see him go back home, it's really been great having him around the past couple days because I don't get to see him very often.

  

 

7-25-07

  

 

     To the left is a picture of the generator all installed. All I have to do now is make the water cooled elbow for the exhaust and hook up the fuel lines and wiring and it will be ready to go. To the right is a picture of the fuel transfer manifold with the fuel hose all hooked up to it. You can see where one of the fuel lines goes into the day tank in the picture to the left. Tim and I got almost all of the fuel lines run before he had to go back to Ohio.

 

 

 

     To the left is a view from the other direction of the fuel lines. To day I got the engine return lines hooked up to the day tank. You can see the return line in the picture t the left coming off the starboard engine and down toward the day tank. To the right is a view of the port engine fuel return line. You can't see it very well because the fitting is on the other side of the 2 x 2 but you can see the small hose coming from the engine up to the tank and then back down to the 2 x 2 where it is hooked into the return line on the day tank.

 

 

8-3-07

     Here is a little project I've been working on for the past several days. I need a tie bar for my rudders and to buy one would cost me almost $600.00 so I decided to make my own. I purchased a 1 inch stainless steel rod and had it threaded on each end. Then I purchased a piece of 3 1/2 inch diameter bronze to make the clevises out of. To the left is a picture of the bronze on my table saw being squared off. I put a metal cutting blade in my saw and it worked pretty well although it was a bit slow going, and very messy with bronze dust everywhere. Then I had to drill some holes in the stock. To the right is a picture of my little drill press really working hard to get a 15/16 inch diameter hole drilled in this stuff. I had to start with about a 1/8 inch drill and work my way up to the 15/16 about 1/16 of an inch increments. Needless to say, it took awhile!

 

    Once I had the holes drilled, it was back to the saw to cut out the center of the stock to form the clevis. To the left the piece is back on the saw. You can see the two holes in the stock and one cut completed in the picture. To the right is my little drill press torn apart and reassembled and bolted down to the work bench. I had to drill a hole in the end of the stock for the 1 inch stainless steel rod to screw into and my drill press wasn't tall enough to accommodate the stock and the length of the drill bit. Once I got the hole drilled I tapped it and then I just shaped the clevis with my little grinder and took off the sharp edges and they were done.

 

 

 

     To the left is a picture of the finished clevis screwed onto the bar. To the right is a picture of the entire assembly. Not to bad for hand tools although it might look a bit amateurish, it's functional and a bit less expensive than a purchased tie bar.