Boat Yard LXXIX

10-9-07

  

     The salon framing is coming along nicely. Here are a couple of pictures of the starboard side of the salon. I have completed gluing and screwing all the studs and now I'm getting ready to start gluing the rafters. You can see the clamps sitting at an angle in the picture to the right. I have them all disassembled and ready for glue. They will provide the mounting surface for the side paneling at the top and then there will be a clamp at the bottom of the studs as well.

 

 

       To the left is a closer view of the top clamps that go between the rafters. To the right is a picture of the lower clamps along the side deck at the bottom of the studs. The side deck will be 3/4" plywood and will go on first and then the side panels will go on top of the deck and be secured at the clamps.

 

 

 

 

      Here are a couple of pictures of the double rafters for the mast. There will be a support that goes all the way down into the engine compartment and be secured to the inboard port engine stringer. I will be located at the edge of the galley counter, so I had to lay out the galley to locate the edge of the cabinet and then plumb up from there to locate the rafter that will support the mast, and then install the double rafters. In the picture to the right you can see the mast blocks in the center of the rafters. I sure hope I got the galley cabinets in the right place, or my mast support will not come out where it is supposed to. Time will tell!

 

 

 

10-15-07

  

     I have finished gluing and screwing all the studs and all the rafters. Then I started working on the side decks. Here are a couple of pictures of the side decks all cut and fit. I haven't glued them yet because I ran out of screws and I have to wait till they get here. I still need to glue the clamps yet also, but I thought I would wait till the screws get here and do it all at the same time.

 

 

 

     I've also been working on finishing the bulwarks on the raised decks. I decided to just put a little angled extension on them and that would finish them off. To the left is a picture of the angled piece for the outside of the bulwark cut and fit.  You can also see the spindles Lloyd made for me to support the hand rails on top of the bulwark cap rail. To the right you can see the notches cut into the bulwark and the outside panel for the shore power plug. It was a bit tight so I had to notch things out a bit to make room for the wires.

 

 

 

 

10-26-07

  

     Here's a couple of pictures of Lloyd in his workshop where he made my spindles for me.  In the picture to the left Lloyd is standing next to two of the spindles, one short one and one of the three foot ones. To the right Lloyd and I are posing with one of the three foot spindles. These three footers will go on top of the chain locker deck.

 

 

    I have all the side panels cut and fit for the salon. Here are a couple of pictures of them. To the left is the starboard side, and to the right is the port side which I have all glued and screwed. I ran out of screws so I can't finish the starboard side until my screws get here. They are on back order and won't be here until the first week of November. I will cut my windows in as soon as I figure out exactly where I want them. I also have the first three sheets of plywood cut and fit for the boat deck, or the roof of the salon. I have to wait for my screws to glue them down as well. It looks like I'm going to have to raise two more rafters on my building to have enough room on top of the salon to work. I sure didn't build this building high enough!