Boat Yard LXXXIV

05-01-08

  

     I finally have to take a break from the bridge and get to work on the building. I got started raising the roof last week and here are a couple of pictures of the inside of the building showing the old roof torn off. As you can see, I have the boat covered with a blue tarp just in case it rains while I have the roof off. My son Jason came down from Virginia to help with the roof raising.

 

 

 

     There is just no substitute for youth!! Here are a couple of pictures of Jay and I putting up the studs for the knee wall of the new roof. As you can see, I'm the one on the ladder and he is up on the plate of the existing walls of the building. Us older guys need to stay just a little closer to the ground with a bit more support under our feet.

 

 

 

 

     Here are a couple of pictures of the new rafters on top of the knee wall. To the left Jay is installing a brace to the east wall. To the right is a picture of me standing around doing nothing while he does all the high work

  

 

 

     Well, here she is! My building is done finally. It doesn't look like a big caboose anymore, just a mess of additions to the original building. When you design and build your temporary structure to build your boat in, make sure you make it big enough the first time. That way you will save yourself a lot of extra work. I sure hope I won't have to touch this building again until I get ready to tear it down to move the boat out.

 

 

 

5-27-08

  

     Now, it's  back to the bridge again. I need to trim out all the windows and to do that I need some radius pieces to fit into the corners. I have some 1/8th inch plywood that I'm going to use for the paneling in the salon and I tried to bend it to fit the radius of the windows. I had to boil it for a couple of hours and then clamp it to these pipe fittings which match my radius in the corners of the windows. Once they dried, they held the radius and fit right into the corners. Then all I had to do was fill in between the corners with some straight pieces of the plywood and the window was all trimmed out. Sounds easy, but believe me it took a long time to do. I needed 12 of the plywood pieces just for the front windows, and 24 pieces of mahogany pieces for the side windows. Needless to say I did a lot of cooking before I had them all bent.

 

    

     It's a bit hard to see in these pictures, but here a couple views of the window trim.  The picture to the left is of one of the front windows, and the picture to the right is of one of the back windows. Notice that the front windows are quite a bit thicker than the side windows because of the orientation of the studs for the bulkheads on the bridge. The bottom piece of trim in each window has to be removable so when I remove the top of the bridge for transporting the boat to the water, I can glue and screw it all back together again and then put the bottom trim pieces back in. You can see the bottom piece left out of the side window in the picture to the right.