Boat Yard LXXXVII

11-22-08

  

     I have my electrical panel installed and wired. Here are a couple of pictures of the panel and bridge. I had a fun time figuring out how to wire this panel, it's unlike anything I have ever wired before. I'm sure glad they sent a schematic or I would never have been able to figure it out. It's going to get crowded behind the face of the panel. The picture to the right shows the wires I have run in the boat so far all hooked up, and that is only about half of what will be in there when I get the wiring all done.

 

 

     I have also started working on putting my new roof on my building. Here are a couple of pictures of the new vinyl all laid out and ready to be pulled up and over the building. This thing is 48 x 60 feet and we picked a pretty windy day to try to pull it over the building. You can see the wind lifting the corner of the material in the picture to the left. To the right you can see the ropes tied to the material that we used to pull it over with. My oldest son Tim came down to help us with the job.

 

 

 

     Here are a couple pictures of the new material on the building and battened down just enough to keep the wind from blowing it off. This is as far as we got with it before I ran out of gas! I still have to batten it down all the way around before it will be done. I will have to do that a little at a time because I just can't go up and down the ladder very many times before my back starts acting up. It will take me awhile but I will get it done. At least now the rain won't get inside and get my boat wet anymore. I sure hope this will be the last time I have to do this before I launch the Molly B!!

 

12-01-08

  

     I had to take a brake from the new roof so I decided to finish my mounting pad for my hydraulic cylinder. Here are a couple of pictures of the pad on the rudder shelf. As you can see, it hangs over the edge of the shelf just a bit so I had to put a doubler plate under the shelf so the two forward mounting holes would be secured by the rudder shelf and the mounting pad instead of just the mounting pad.

 

 

 

 

     Here are a couple of views with the cylinder sitting on the mounting pad. I had to set the cylinder where it is for the geometry of the tiller arm to be correct. That's why it's right on the edge of the rudder shelf. Well, back to the new roof. I hope I will have it done pretty soon.

 

 

12-05-08

  

     The roof is done, finally !!! Now I can get back to work on the boat again. I went back to my steering compartment and have been working on getting the hydraulic cylinder mounted and centered. I have it set now so I get the same amount of travel in each direction. I also had to get a bit creative with my tie bar because it was hitting the cylinder mounting bracket when the rudder was hard over in either direction. I put a couple of bends in it so it will clear the bracket as you can see in the picture to the left. I spent today trying to figure out how to mount the rudder angle indicator sender. As you can see in the picture to the right, I had to put some blocks under it and adjust the mounting position and arm length so I got stop to stop travel when the tiller arm moves from stop to stop. That took some time, but I finally got it positioned correctly. There is a pin that rides in the slot of the tiller arm which moves the sender arm. I don't really like this setup so I might make a bracket to bolt onto the back of the tiller arm which will provide a slot for the sender arm pin to ride in instead of using the tiller arm itself. I'll have to work on this a bit more I think.