Boat Yard IVC

11-03-09

        I have just about finished sanding my first coat of primer on the boat. In the picture to the far left you can see the port side all sanded. I just have the radius on the trim and handrails to do yet, and that is hand sanding so it will take some time. I received my epoxy so I can finish the fabric on the bridge roof now. I had to take a brake from the sanding, so I decided to work on my engine starting batteries. Here are a couple of pictures of my battery box and the wiring of the switches. I hope I can get it installed soon so I can crank the engines to at least build up some oil pressure in them.

 

11-06-09

        Once I finished the pigtails on the battery box, I moved into the engine room and started working on the installation of the battery box on the keel plank. To the left is a picture of the keel plank where the battery box will be mounted. I am sanding off the paint so the blocking can be glued and screwed to the keel plank. To the right is a picture of the two blocks that will raise the battery box high enough to access the main cut off switches mounted on the front of the box. I have the blocks and the box all glued and screwed now and I have started wiring the port engine.

 

 

11-07-09

        The picture to the left shows my battery box all glued and screwed. You can see the two main cut off switches mounted on the front of the box. As you can see, they are just high enough to clear the deck over the day tank. To the right is a picture of the two battery leads attached to the port engine. This is the easy one because the starter is on the inside of the engine. The starboard engine will be a bit more difficult because the starter is on the outside next to the starboard main fuel tank.

 

 

 

11-24-09

        I finally got the wiring figured out for the engine starting system. It took me awhile, but with a little help I got it to work. I ran a #4 battery cable from my starting battery up to the bridge and connected it to a solenoid switch (picture to the left) which is energized by my key switch which in turn energizes the bus that all the gages are wired to as well as the starting solenoid on each engine. When I turn my key on I can start each engine with the starting switches on my instrument panel. I turned each engine over until I got oil pressure up in them and they turned over without any problems. I have also completed installing the hardware on my salon door so it is ready to be installed. (Picture to the right) Now back to the sanding and the last coat of primer.

 

12-08-09

    I finally finished the bridge roof. To the left is a picture of the last coat of epoxy on the fabric. It took a while but it's finally done. I finished sanding it all out the other day so it is all ready for a coat of primer. I've also been working on my line locker which I'm putting on top of the trunk cabin right in front of the bridge. To the right is a picture of the basic framework for the locker. I don't have any storage on the front deck so I needed something to store a couple of fenders and my mooring lines.

 

 

 

     Here are a couple of different views of the framework. To the right you can see the drain for water that runs down the front of the bridge so it doesn't go into the locker. The lid will take care of the other three sides. Hopefully my lines will stay nice and dry in there.

 

 

 

 

12-15-09

        Here we go again, more doors. I've just started building the sliding doors for the bridge. To the left is a picture of the frame for the port door. I need to get this one hung so I can see if I have enough clearance to raise my propane locker. I decided I want to put 30 lb. cylinders in there instead of the 20 lb. that I designed the locker for. To the right is a picture of the assembly of the door frame and the handle set inlay. This is a little different from the salon door that I built because I have to inlay the handle and lock mechanism so it is flush with the outside of the door. It's been fun so far.